Turkish union prompts companies to implement high-level COVID-19 measures
The Turkish Cement, Pottery and Glass Workers’ Union (CIMSE-IS) got the commitment of several companies to implement high-level health and safety measures in their workplaces to protect workers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The union said that its officials signed a comprehensive protocol with Eczacibasi Building Materials (EYAP), while it persuaded the Matel Raw Materials Inc. to obtain a COVID-19 Safe Production Certificate from the Turkish Standards Institution to certify its strict implementation of protocols to protect workers’ health and safety.
CIMSE-IS listed the following measures the said companies will fully implement.
- Train workers on COVID-19 protocols.
- Regular disinfection of locker rooms and common-use areas.
- Discourage the use of the water dispensers and tea machines as much as possible. Instead, workers must be provided with bottled water.
- Scan workers’ temperature before entering workplaces .
- Conduct meetings online as much as possible.
- Cancel unnecessary travels. Workers and staff returning from abroad must comply with the 14-day quarantine period rule.
- Ensure regular use of facemasks.
- Workers must have easy access to hygiene materials at workplaces.
- Observe physical distancing in service vehicles.
- Workers with occupational and/or chronic diseases, pregnant working women and those over 65 years old must be given substantial paid leaves.