BWI Action Alert for International Women’s Day
As women continue to bear the brunt of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be united on International Women’s Day on 8 March 2021 to campaign for gender equity to be mainstreamed in national and regional economic recover plans. Trade unions must not miss the unique opportunity to build a gender-equal better future.
The Building and Woodworkers International (BWI) will mark International Women’s Day on 8 March 2021 with the themes “Equal and Better Future for All” and “No Recovery without Gender Equality.”
Join BWI in a week-long campaign starting on 1 March as we promote COVID-19 recovery strategies and programs that address gender inequality, especially conditions that have resulted in women workers becoming more vulnerable to social burdens and the economic costs of the response to the pandemic.
We call on BWI affiliates at the national to:
1. Organise meetings, observing COVID-19 safety protocols, with women trade unionists on the role of women workers in the pandemic recovery.
2. Encourage trade union members to be creative online and off in expressing their solidarity and support to our IWD campaign this year.
3. Issue trade union statements to government leaders, policy and opinion makers, and media practitioners anchored on our message that there is no real recovery without gender equality.
To show solidarity at the international level, we encourage BWI affiliates to:
1. Update your profile picture or video with our IWD frame starting 1 March.
2. Mobilise trade union members to take photos of themselves holding IWD posters and post them on social media with the hashtags #EqualBetterFuture #GenderEqualityRecovery.
3. Encourage women trade unionists to write what gender-equal better future means to them on our IWD interactive posters Take photos of themselves holding the posters and share online using our campaign hashtags.
4. Invite trade union members to join BWI’s “Gender Equality Storytelling Caravan” on Instagram. Follow BWI on Instagram: bwiglobalunion.
Do send a copy of your statements, as well as reports and photos of your actions to BWI. For more information, please contact anna.andreeva(at)bwint.org
For posters in different languages, go here.