2022 IDAHOBIT: Safe and inclusive work for all!
On the occasion of this year’s International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT), the Building and Woodworkers’ International (BWI) reaffirms its commitment to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment for LGBTI workers in the construction, building, wood, forestry and building materials industries.
As part of the Council of Global Unions’ (CGU) LGBTI Workers, BWI recognises the need to stand by LGBTI workers who frequently experience violence, harassment, discrimination and exclusion in society, particularly at workplaces. From access to employment, working conditions, to employment security, LGBTI workers continue to be discriminated against.
In building the future we want, now more than ever, nobody should be left behind and unmentioned.
BWI believes that the fight against discrimination at work must include all workers’ voices, as a united intersectional fight of trade unions. Therefore, in compliance with BWI’s Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment, which states our opposition to discrimination and harassment based, among others, on sexual orientation and gender identity, we hereby call on our affiliates to:
- Take a selfie or have someone take a photo of you holding one of CGU’s LGBTI Workers signs. Get the posters here.
- Post it on your personal and (if possible) union social media channels: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tik Tok, etc. Make sure to tag us: @lgbtiworkers and use the hashtags below. Mention your union.
- If it feels safe and right, talk to a co-worker about the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia and why ratifying ILO Convention 190 on violence and harassment in the world of work is vital for LGBTI and all workers!
- Email us your photos at estefania.padilla(at)bwint.org, to distribute your message in BWI social media channels.
- Visit the LGBTI Workers webpage here and sign up for updates on our work.
+ your minister/ministry of labour
+ your national LGBTI organization
+ your local Pride group
+ your union
+ your national labour centre